Searching...
Saturday 5 July 2008

Notes from a crying country

01:04

It's been almost four pretty hectic months for any ordinary citizen from our beloved Argentina and I cannot avoid feeling worried and, at times, even sad for the latest events that have come up unexpectedly.Wondering how to describe them in English or how to say certain things in that language I started surfing the net searching for answers.


Both long articles from widely known online newspapers and videos from important international channels have met my needs:



Argentina, one of the world's biggest breadbaskets, should be rolling in cash, as world food prices soar.
Instead, soy, wheat and corn have sat for weeks in silos as farmers protesting new export taxes suspended sales.
-Read more-





To cut a long story short, today, the "debate episode" announced by The Guardian is bound to provide more ingredients to the "make believe country" presented on "The Economist" a month ago.



How shall I close this post? By inviting you, readers to click on the article published on "The Miami Herald" yesterday?
That doesn't ring "high hope bells" into my exhausted Argentinian mind.

I prefer to round off the blog with an image, my final thought on the topic...or a wish for my country :



And, if you I'm allowed, let me quote one of the phrases I've overheard several times these days. Please forgive me for not having translated it into English. I like the way it sounds in the language 21st century Argentine heroes speak:



"Hasta que un día el paisano acabe con este infierno, y con sólo esta ley se rija:
Si es pa' todos el invierno , es pa' todos la cobija
.
"

______________________
Fuentes:

The Economist
Miami Herald
CNN
Campos de trigo (Flickr)
Manual de Zonceras Argentinas
Agencia Informativa Católica Argentina
Al Jazeera News (You Tube)
Reuters (You Tube)

0 comments:

Post a Comment